Oak Barrel Care Guide
Cleaning with Tabs
Use Tabs as a cleaning agent after every 2-3 batches or as an antimicrobial solution when storing your oak barrel for future use.
For each use, you’ll need:
- 1 tablet for 1, 2, and 3 L barrels
- 2 tablets for 5 L
- 3 tablets for 10 L
- 5 tablets for 20 L
Simply dissolve the tablet(s) in a glass of water and pour the mix into your oak barrel. Top up with more water (fill your barrel all the way to the top). Seal it by inserting the bung and store your filled barrel in a cool place. Or if you’re ready to make your next batch, empty it out and rinse a few times, and your freshly cleaned barrel is ready to go.
Barrel wax is essential for maintaining the integrity of your oak barrel. Apply a thin, even coat of barrel wax to the exterior of your barrel every 3-6 months or as needed to prevent drying and maintain its attractive appearance.
Regularly inspect your oak barrel for any signs of wear, damage, or leaks. If you notice any issues, address them promptly to ensure the barrel's longevity.
Proper storage is crucial for preserving your oak barrel:
- Store the barrel upright at all times to prevent leaking or drying out of the staves.
- Keep it in a cool, dark place with a consistent temperature to avoid extreme fluctuations.
- If you plan to store the barrel for an extended period, rinse it with water and ensure it is completely dry before sealing it with the bung. This prevents mold growth.
Following these care guidelines will help you enjoy years of successful aging and flavorful spirits with your oak barrel from TheCountyCooperage.ca.
Oak Barrel Curing Guide
6. If there's no leak: Empty the barrel and rinse for a final cleanse before filling with your product.